National and local crisis lines

What to do in a mental health crisis:

  • Seek help, talk to someone.
  • If you have already been given a Crisis Line number from a health professional, call it.
  • If you're under the care of a mental health team and have a specific care plan that states who to contact when you need urgent care, follow this plan.
  • Contact your GP surgery and ask for an emergency appointment.
  • Go to any Accident & Emergency (A&E) department.
  • Call 999 and ask for an ambulance to take you to A&E.
  • Ask someone else to call 999 for you or take you to A&E.
  • Contact the police on 999.

If you need urgent support but don't want to contact a GP or go to A&E:

  • Call Samaritans on freephone 116 123 – they're always open (24 hours a day) and offer emotional support, and if you call them from your mobile, there is no charge & the number will not show up on your phone bill. Free telephone number: 116 123 or email
  • Contact NHS 111 (England).
  • If you live in Cambridge or Peterborough dial 111 and press option 2 for the First Response Service - a 24-hour service for people in a mental health crisis. This service is for anyone, of any age, who is registered with a GP in Cambridgeshire or Peterborough. Specially-trained mental health staff will speak to you and discuss your mental health care needs instead of you having to go to accident and emergency departments of local acute hospitals.

Information for people experiencing domestic abuse:

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top