“We’re massively grateful for the support and it’s a great team effort that makes our event so successful” – Head of PE Paul is ‘blown away’ as latest Santa Run raises more than £2,800

Young fundraisers continued a long-standing tradition by donning festive outfits and getting sporty for charity. The PE department at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy organised its latest Santa Run in support of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH).

The seafront event has been happening since 2014 and, in that time, generous staff and pupils have raised nearly £16,500. In return for a donation, they wear Christmassy jumpers and hats and run just over a mile and a half along the North Denes beach.

This year’s event raised £2,854 and featured around 700 youngsters. Those in Years Nine and Ten ran together and then those in Years Seven and Eight.

Paul Andrews, Head of PE, joined in the fun said: “There was a great atmosphere, even though the weather was extremely cold, and we were joined by Santa for both runs, putting in some late training before his deliveries on Christmas Eve.

“Every year, the generosity of our pupils and families blows me away. The Santa Runs are our biggest events, achieving support from all pupils and many staff.

“They also form part of our house competitions and are a great way to finish the first term just before Christmas. We’re massively grateful for the support and it’s a great team effort that makes our event so successful.”

This year’s Santa Run took place on 12th December and Community Fundraiser Ellie Miller recently visited to collect a cheque on behalf of EACH.

She said: “We’re incredibly grateful for the support of everyone at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy.

“We only get 16% of our funding from the government, with the other 84% being fundraised and donated, so this money is vital and I’d like to thank all the pupils and staff involved.”

EACH supports families and cares for children and young people with life-threatening conditions across Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Essex. It has three hospices, including The Nook, in Framingham Earl, near Norwich.

Notes to Editors

“EACH has made us all feel part of an extended family and, thanks to staff and fellow families, we’re not alone with problems. We always leave The Treehouse feeling positive, stronger and thankful.”

  • We care for children and young people with life-threatening conditions across Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk, and support their families.
  • We offer families flexibility and control over where they receive their care and support, including where their child dies – at home, in hospital or at one of three hospices at Milton (Cambridge), The Nook (Norfolk) and The Treehouse (Ipswich).
  • Our family-centred approach includes specialist nursing care, symptom management support, short breaks, wellbeing activities, therapies and counselling, all meeting the individual needs of the child, young person and whole family.
  • We are recognised as leaders in our field, with a reputation for excellence and commitment to pioneering development and innovation.
  • We rely on voluntary donations for the majority of our income and this year need to raise £5.8 million from fundraising and £6.5 million in income from our shops. The year before the pandemic we received just 16% of our total income from statutory sources.
  • EACH Royal Patron –Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales.
  • For more information about EACH, including forthcoming events and how you can help raise funds,visit each.org.uk or call our Suffolk fundraisers on 01473 917965.

Keep in touch:

www.each.org.uk
www.twitter.com/EACH_hospice
www.facebook.com/EACHhospices
www.instagram.com/eachhospices
www.linkedin.com/company/eachhospices


For further information about this release please contact:

Matt Plummer | Media and PR Manager | 07738 328058 | Matt.Plummer@each.org.uk

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top