Jimmy's Farm Baaa-rilliant competition
Jimmy's Farm are backing a baaa-rilliant new competition across Suffolk as part of their charity partnership with EACH for 2015.
All children across the county are being invited to make their very own piggy bank, sheep bank, cow bank or indeed any animal bank using paper-mache. EACH are asking contestants to really use their imagination when decorating their creations, and they can use any materials they like to make their handiwork look like their chosen animal.
Jimmy Doherty has agreed to judge all the entrants and assign winners to each of the categories with those triumphant receiving free tickets to Jimmy's Sausage and Beer Festival
There will be prizes awarded for the best decorated bank in four categories: infant (up to 7), junior (7 to 11), over 12 age ranges and also for the 'Top Fundraiser' for the child that collects the most change in their bank.
1st prize in each age category will be a two day family ticket to Jimmy’s Sausage and Beer festival & a Playaway Travel Case, second prize a one day family ticket to Jimmy’s Sausage and Beer Festival and the top fundraiser will win a tablet computer.
To enter the competition make your bank (you might want to use the handy tips below), print out and fill in this entry form
and drop your bank into the EACH Treehouse hospice at St. Augustine’s Gardens, Ipswich, IP3 8NS. Closing date for banks and money raised is Friday 15th May - but we'd love to see your photos - tweet to @EACH_Suffolk, send a message to our Facebook page or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you'd like your piggy bank back please mention this on your registration form.
For more information contact the Suffolk Fundraising Team
on 01473 276196.
How to make your paper mache piggy bank
What you need:
- Several newspapers or packs of tissue paper
- PVA glue
- Poster paints
- Egg cartons
- Pipe cleaners
- Thick art bruches
- Any other extra sparkles for decoration
What to do:
- Blow up your balloon to the size you want your piggy bank
- Tear your newspaper or tissue paper into strips 2cm x 10cm and stick onto the balloon using a mix of glue and water (half and half). You can rest the balloon on a mug while you’re doing this
- Once you’ve added 3-4 layers, leave the balloon in a warm place until it dries and goes hard
- Add legs by cutting out the individual egg holders from an egg carton, and paint and decorate your papier-mâché animal as you choose
- Once dry, coat with a thick layer of glue and wait until it dries rock hard and varnished
- Using a craft knife, cut a money slot in the top of your finished sculpture, and your work of art is ready to collect your cash!