11th March 2016
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, who is East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) Royal Patron, will officially open a brand new EACH charity shop in the North Norfolk town of Holt.
The Duchess will perform the opening ceremony on the morning of Friday 18th March, by cutting a ribbon with the help of two families receiving care and support from EACH.
Before the ribbon cutting, The Duchess will receive a tour of the shop, while meeting a number of staff, families and supporters, including seven EACH shop volunteers with a combined service of more than 130 years.
Holt will be the 21st shop in EACH’s retail portfolio and forms part of ambitious plans to expand their network of shops over the coming years.
Tracy Rennie, EACH Director of Care said: “We are delighted The Duchess of Cambridge will be taking the time to help us celebrate the opening of our new shop in the beautiful town of Holt.
“We’re really looking forward to becoming an integral part of the town’s thriving and friendly community, and are confident local residents will help us make the shop a great success.
“It’s really important for us to have a strong presence in North Norfolk; an area in which many EACH families live and where our specialist staff deliver so much care and support.”
EACH relies on voluntary donations for the majority of its income and this year alone need to raise £2.5 million from their retail activities and a further £5 million from fundraising.
Sam Lucking, EACH Director of Income Generation said: “Our shops simply couldn’t survive without the hard work and dedication of our volunteers, and we urge anyone interested in joining our friendly team to get in touch. We need lots of new customers and regular donations too!
“We rely on donations of clean and high quality goods to sell, including clothing, bric-a-brac, books, toys, jewellery, DVDs/CDs, household linens, retro and vintage clothes and small electrical items. We also welcome donations of good quality furniture and can collect it free of charge if you’re unable to transport it yourself. Please do pop in and let us know how you can help!”
More than 700 children, young people and family members are currently receiving care and support at EACH, including over 300 from EACH’s hospice at Quidenham in Norfolk. More than half of their care and support is delivered in the family home and community, including North Norfolk, in surroundings familiar and comfortable for the family.
Since becoming Royal Patron in 2012, The Duchess of Cambridge has played a vital role in raising awareness and understanding of children’s hospice services, across East Anglia and the rest of the UK.
Notes to Editors
- We support families and care for children and young people with life-threatening conditions across Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk.
- We offer families flexibility and control over where they receive their care and support, including where their child dies; at home, in hospital or at one of three hospices at Milton (Cambridge), Quidenham (Norfolk) and The Treehouse (Ipswich).
- Our family centred approach includes specialist nursing care, symptom management support, short breaks, wellbeing activities, therapies and counselling; all meeting the individual needs of the child, young person and whole family.
- We are recognised as leaders in our field, with a reputation for excellence and commitment to pioneering development and innovation.
- We rely on voluntary donations for the majority of our income and each year need to raise more than £5 million from fundraising and £2.5 million from our shops. We also need to raise £10 million for the nook appeal, to develop our hospice services in Norfolk, including a new hospice.
- EACH Royal Patron – Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge.
@EACH_hospices – #EACHholt
- For more information about EACH, including forthcoming events and how you can help raise funds, visit:
Additional resources to be available on the day:
Information about the guests who will be meeting The Duchess, including background text and images for the two families receiving services from EACH.
Only one of the two families will be available for media interview after the event.
For further information about this release please contact:
Simon Hempsall – Head of Marketing and Communications
07738 820655; firstname.lastname@example.org